Tuesday, 26 July 2011

popping the question

For a friend's birthday I wanted to experiement with popping candy. I've heard of chef's using popping candy in some of their recipes including Heston Blumenthal's tingling chocolate cake and Gizzi Erskine's fizzy lemon and cola pie. Having never incorporated popping candy in my baking before, I decided to give it a go as decor - I simply did not have time for 18 cupcakes to go wrong before our road trip up to Leicester. However, without having done my research (again!) they didn't exactly go 'right' either.

Sprinkling the popping candy on top of some blue cupcakes like sugar crystals seemed like the perfect option and they did indeed look fab...until I went to remove them from the fridge an hour later. The candy had started to melt. Great. Combine that with a warm car for an hour and a half up to my friend's house means they melted even more. Fantastic. The icing resembled golden goo haphazardly plonked on delicate blue butter cream. What really annoyed me however is by the time we came to eat them they DIDN'T EVEN POP.

So how come when these chefs BAKE their popping candy into their mixtures they have success? I'm not entirely sure but it seems that more candy is used if combing with the sponge. We'll have another stab at it and let you know!

Candy used was by Bon Bon Buddies which is currently 4 for £1 at Tesco.

A x



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...